See what my new reproduction of the illustrations from Martin Luther’s translation of the Bible has to offer!
- Apocalyptic rhetoric – in this case, the real deal, the Book of Revelation
- Reptiles – here we have the Beast from the Pit looking like a Komodo Dragon
- Architecture – John measures the heavenly temple
- No-holds-barred satire – The lizard wears the Pope’s hat!
- Bob Dylan? – Whoa, two witnesses with tongues of fire. Swear that’s in one of his songs somewhere!
[Feb. 13] Could it be that this dragon image from Hypnerotomachia Poliphili could be the source of the iconography in the image at the head of this post? A dragon/lizard in the cathedral/temple? How odd that would be as a source of Protestant anti-papal graphics!